These banana chocolate chip muffins were adapted from this banana nut muffin receipe from Tyler Florence. Who doesn’t love a good banana nut muffin?! Well, my husband doesn’t. He’s not a fan of nuts in baked goods, supposedly. (I won’t get into it here, but I’m beginning to realize he only thinks he doesn’t like a lot of things.) Anyways, I ended up subbing the half cup of pecans for a cup of chocolate chips (okay, maybe it was closer to 1.5 cups) for him. Why? Because who doesn’t love chocolate?!
Tyler’s recipe calls for all purpose flour, but I had been making these muffins with a cup of white all purpose flour and a cup of whole wheat flour. They ended up slightly more dense with the whole wheat flour, but since banana muffins are already on the denser side, they were still very good. Just recently, I discovered white whole wheat flour. I had to try it and I’m so glad I did! The white whole wheat flour lightens everything up. The texture of the muffins ends up almost cake-like. In fact, my daughter called them cupcake muffins.
These muffins are delish and perfect for those days you need an extra special treat for breakfast or an afternoon pick me up. They also freeze well, simply pop them in the microwave for a couple seconds whenever you have a craving.
- 2c white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2tsp baking soda
- 1/2tsp salt
- 4 overripe bananas
- 1c brown sugar
- 3/4c butter (1 1/2 sticks) melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1tsp vanilla
- 1.5c chocolate chips
- Pre heat oven to 375º
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt
- Mash 2 bananas in a small bowl so they still have a little bit of texture
- With an electric mixture, mash the remaining 2 bananas with the sugar until combined (approx. 3min)
- Add the melted butter, eggs, and vanilla and beat well, scraping down the sides of the bowl
- Mix in dry ingredients until just incorporated
- Fold in the mashed bananas and chocolate chips with a rubber spatula until just incorporated
- Fill lined muffin tins halfway
- Tap the filled pans on the counter to remove air bubbles
- Bake 18-20min or until the muffins pierced with a toothpick come out clean