Hope everyone is having a great weekend so far!
One of my good friends was back on the East Coast with her daughter this weekend which gave everyone a reason to get together. Yay! In an effort to avoid messing up nap schedules and cranky toddlers, we all met up for an 11am play date and early lunch in the city yesterday.
Because there were several toddlers and young children in the mix, I checked with all the parents and ended up with one toddler who was allergic to peanuts and potentially allergic to other nuts. So, I ended up modifying this recipe from an earlier post by omitting the almond extract and slightly increasing the amount of vanilla extract. Better safe than sorry, right?!
These cupcakes were perfect – soft, light, and not too sweet, but if I had to choose I think I still prefer the original recipe with almond extract. The modified cupcakes were very good, but the original recipe with just the hint of almond extract was just a tiny bit more special.
I think I made the best call based on the audience, but really, it’s impossible to go wrong with either version. I topped the cupcakes with this super simple buttercream frosting and decided to forgo food coloring and decorate with just a little bit of sprinkles. Have you ever met a toddler that wasn’t happy to see sprinkles?!
- 600g cake flout
- 21g baking powder
- 2 1/2tsp salt
- 840g granulated sugar
- 380g butter, cut into pieces and at room temperature
- 12 egg whites
- 495mL milk, room temperature
- 2tbsp vanilla extract
- Prepare cupcake pans and preheat oven to 350º
- Combine the cake flout, baking powder, salt, and sugar in mixing bowl
- Add the butter and mix with paddle attachment until the mixture resembles coarse sand
- Separately, combine egg whites, milk, and vanilla extract
- Pour about half of the liquid into the dry mixture
- Mix at medium-low speed for about 1 1/2 minutes
- Scrape down contents in bowl
- Add remaining liquid mixture
- Mix for 30 seconds and scrape down bowl again
- Mix 30 seconds more and pour half-way into prepared cupcake pans
- Bake at 350º until done, approximately 10-20minutes
This yields about 4 dozen cupcakes, so I typically cut the recipe in half.