I’ve mentioned on previous posts (roast chicken, roasted root vegetables, and roasted zucchini and yellow squash) that my daughter’s all-time favorite dish is roasted chicken. So I make it a lot – about 1-2 times per week. Now that it’s summer, I’ve been looking into making the chicken in our dutch oven or slow cooker, but haven’t actually tried yet. In the mean time, I’ve been roasting chicken this way. Since the chicken is already cut into pieces, the cook time is reduced. Also, I’m able to get more seasoning on to each individual piece, so there’s just a lot more flavor than you’ll find in a typical whole roasted chicken. My husband actually now prefers roasted chicken this way.
I’ve played with several variations including herbs de provence and rosemary and lemon (all delicious), but this is my most latest favorite. I found this all-purpose seasoning mix at Trader Joes (loooove this store) and gave it a try.
It’s a mix of sea salt, mustard seeds, black peppercorns, coriander, onion, garlic, paprika, and chili peppers. It’s very basic seasoning, but still delicious. It also goes with pretty much every thing – perfect for weekly meal planning and using with other meals through out the week.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 lemon, plus zest
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, pressed*
- olive oil
- Trader Joe’s every day seasoning
- Pre-heat oven to 375º
- On a parchment lined pan, place chicken pieces down bottom side up
- Generously season with Trader Joe’s every day seasoning
- Turn chicken pieces over right side up
- Loosen skin of breasts and thighs and stuff garlic underneath the skin
- Squeeze lemon juice over all the pieces and drizzle with olive oil
- Generously season with Trader Joe’s ever day seasoning
- Sprinkle with lemon zest
- Roast in oven for 1hr – 1hr 15min or until internal temp registers 160ºF and juices run clear
- Let rest for 10-15min prior to serving